- Posted by Dr Alex Loh
- On February 5, 2018
You may have heard about veneers and crowns being used to improve your smile. But, did you know that simply putting veneers and crowns on teeth will not necessarily improve the appearance?
Often a beautiful smile doesn’t require adding more bulk to your tooth in the form of veneers or crowns! There are several reasons a smile can have a poor appearance, and this could be related to:
- The positions of the gums, making the teeth look shorter than they should be;
- The positions of the lips affecting how much tooth and gum is showing when you are smiling;
- The sizes of the teeth may be too big, where adding extra bulk through veneers or crowns could make the tooth look worse!
The question is, if someone were to be unhappy with their own smile, how would they know which problem is actually causing them to be unhappy?
This is where an “e-smile analysis” is extremely useful! A good smile generally has:
- Be balanced with the eyes and face;
- Have a nice curvature upwards going from the middle towards the sides;
- Have teeth that are the correct width and height proportions;
- Have gums and lips in harmony with the teeth.
Doing an “e-smile analysis” allows a clear direction when performing treatment, without simply slapping on veneers and crowns.
Have a look at these two sets of teeth. They look almost identical, don’t they? But when you actually do an “e-smile analysis” for both of them, you’ll see that one of them needs the teeth lengthened, and the other needs the gums shortened instead. Having teeth that look the same to begin with can mean a totally different treatment plan!